Sunday, February 22, 2009

Im worse than a slacker...

Yeah Yeah I know..What the freak Mel??? So Im gonna try and do a lil to redeem myself. First off the tip of the ( post ) eventually it will be of the day, but thats wishful thinkin. So this one is pretty simple, and kinda a part one on faces.
Im sure many of you have heard of squash and stretch ( alot of animators deal with this.) I like to use these in my expressions. It helps to set a mood. Puts the character in mid action and adds flavor. It helps to know your shapes well so that you can exaggerate these things. Elongating the eyes nose and mouth as well as the head shape helps emphasize the whole expression. In my examples below i try to show it in different shapes. Excited seems to have more of a stretch and angry or grumpy a squash. Play around with the combination and see where it gets you. Practice it and have fun. More on faces next post. Something a bitmore in depth. Hope this was at least a little informative. Feel like im stretchin on this one...pun intended.

First pic is how I have been feelin lately so please bear with me. Adding some doodles and a little * gasp * animation. ( Small little exercises.. nothing exciting.) and I updated http://melmeets.blogspot.com/ Im really tryin to get back on the ball. May even try to do a post a day for a month kinda thing..be on the lookout.






28 comments:

Andy Latham said...

Really nice stuff again Mel! Are you in Animation Mentor? Those animations look like their kinda thing. Really nice! Keep it up and I definitely think you should post more! One of the better blogs in the ether that is the internet!

Vee (Scratch) said...

Don't press yourself. Post when you can. I can easily catch your updates via RSS feeds so I'll be in the know.

I think I'll practice some heads as an exercise myself and post it this week or something. Yes, this post serves as a reminder and a bit a little informative.

Thanks!

Alex Deligiannis said...

Great stuff Mel. I especially love the guy in the red with the big eyebrows!

Juampa said...

Very solid designs Mel, Thanks a lot for sharing Dude.

All the best!

YesLand said...

nice shapes in those faces! I liked the animations. I think the second jump looks better than the first one. I feel the weight of the body was better transmited.

Anonymous said...

great tips, thanks Mel!
nice drawings too
hope you are well~

Animator Trav said...

Hey Mel,
Thanks so much for your kind words on my CGTalk post ("Listening")! I've been a fan of your work for some time, so it's a huge honor!

This stuff's amazing! Keep it up!

Trav

Nathan Lindsay said...

at 11 seconds- ball with legs jumping =Love it.

RAWLS said...

Great work Slacker! I like yer anim! Nice stuff my friend!

Jason Newkirk said...

yeah man..such a slacker sheesh. Now you have to post EVERY day...get on it. You=teh AWESOMENESS!

Ryan said...

I love seeing you update, Mel. Great stuff as always.

pablo pablo said...

Nice characters!

Nathanael Lark said...

Very fun! I like your use of shapes in those facial expressions.

Eduardo Vieira said...

Great tips about stretch and squatch. Loved the very simple approach for the expressions and for the shapes. Congratulations! Hope to see more stuff from you soon. :-)

robi pena said...

Yeahh :-))) superbe stuff Mel, superbe shapes and superbe animation :-)))!!!! Thanks ;-)!!

Tassia said...

Cool that I want to do that.
UFF'm still light years away from it (jaja)
Well I am, I am Tassie, and I like your site

EDGAR ERNEST said...

i really like your concepts. Those are really nice man. I makes me wanna draw more.lol. Hey what medium do you use mostly? By the way, If you have a chance ccan you come check out my blog and see what you think? Thanks.

EDGAR ERNEST said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EDGAR ERNEST said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EDGAR ERNEST said...

i really like your concepts. Those are really nice man. I makes me wanna draw more.lol. Hey what medium do you use mostly? By the way, If you have a chance ccan you come check out my blog and see what you think? Thanks.

Vanhoozerbot said...

I will echo the sentiments of your other fans... Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting these tips. It is a great look at your approach to things.

Your fan,

JV

tinylittlesandra said...

hey there, I was getting worried about ya! I love that little ball and leg jump, great stuff! I'm working on a similar character... I just gotta get my head around the curve editor...maybe you have some tips up your sleeve for that?

Don't work to hard!

Javier Burgos "Javas" said...

greatness!

tinylittlesandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tinylittlesandra said...

Are you kiddin - your the hardest workin blogger on this thing! Thanks for the link, yep, I found his Tutorial awhile ago. I got caught up with other matters... and totally forgot about it. So thanks for the reminder. I printed it on and am proceeding to beat my Splinophobia over the head with it, till I'm not scared anymore :O)

Tatevik Avakyan said...

Thank you for sharing all this great information.

Olivier Ladeuix said...

slacker! ;-)

Mike said...

so much awesome art here. I keep checking out your blog hoping for updates. I know you must have been sketching. More posts PUHLEEEEZE :)