Sunday, January 10, 2010

Meet Stephan..


"So whats new?" some of you may ask. Others may say" whats with all the text? I thought you were a picture guy... " And the majority will quickly look at this post and move on to the next blog ( ..or back to youtube to find something loads more entertaining than this pile...) with out question.

So, to the two people who asked the questions ( My wife and myself ), the answer to the first ( posed by my wife ): Ive have now taken on yet another creative endeavor.. To spend time learning to write.

Writing? I know , Ive lost my mind. This is something Im goin to spend the next little while doing. Just for fun. Something to do to give purpose to my drawings. To make some characters and to get to know them for more than 15 minutes of sketch time. A project of sorts. Something that pushes me beyond my comfort zone. ( Which answers the second of the questions " whats with all the text " asked by -- yours truly. )

Finally, for the rest of you who peeled out and are now watching that hilarious clip of the monkey drinkin his own pee... oh right, I dont need to say anything to you guys. You've already left...

Muhndee is the first story I will tell and have been writing him for the past five days. ( you know you're impressed by that :) I havent decided where Im gonna post this prose of mine at the moment. I may put the actual stories in another blog and post the drawings / concepts here to keep this one the " lookat the pictures kids:)" blog.

I ask for forgiveness now to those who were expecting something far more enthralling...

With that said, on to todays post.. Finally...

Heres the second character in this so called story Ive been writing up. His name is Stephan.( Havent had much time to refine him or Muhndee because I want to spend more time focused on the words rather than the pics at this point. ) Dont worry, it won't make sense down the road either, 'cause I just started writing. I have no clue as to what Im doin and that will be the recurring theme in my upcoming posts....

Alright Muhndee. I posted as per our agreement. I expect tomorrow to go smoother than it did every Monday since I was born....

19 comments:

Jason Crawford said...

Hey there Mel, sounds cool with your writing.
I'd be interested to see how you get on with it. I've tried and am keen to get back into it myself. I've found that having a backstory adds so much more depth to your sketches. Also beats that blank piece of paper staring at you.
Best of luck and happy new year!!!

JC :)

Ken Chandler said...

I'm lovin' Muhndee, his overall design rocks... so appealing on so many levels. Stephan is cool too... or at least as cool as a zombie can be.

Good luck with your explorations. I'll be back around to read your thinking and see more of your sketches. Always a pleasure my friend.

Andy Latham said...

Great idea Mel! I'm looking forward to what you come up with :D

drono said...

I hear a lot of words when I see your drawings so it'll be great to read what you;re actually thinking. Please post some when you get enough written to read.
We're storytellers & can't help but want to put words to paper (or to the word processing program) instead of just a drawing.
Great stuff!

aintshakespeare said...

Much luck with the writing. Like any artistic endeavor the only way to get better at it is to do it more.

Stephan is excellent.

I'm curious as to how big Muhndee actually is.

Haitao Su said...

Hey Mel! cool, so fun! XD

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, good luck with the writting :D!

Alex J. Bell said...

Dood, I envy you. Writing was the one thing I left other people to do. I just can't spend enough time to make any sense before I just go back to drawing.
I'm sure you're writing is going to be great. Keep it up man!

Pablo said...

Really the design on him Mel. Fantastic that your exploring the writing aspect in coming up with your characters. Should be a blast to follow what you come up with.

tinylittlesandra said...

Your Funnie :O) So good things do come out of ''bad days'', I cant wait to read on.

Thanks for the visit and the ever so polite kick up the butt ;) I do need to get my finger out, ey? Will do over the next few days, promise!

Be Creative Books said...

Hey Mel, you've created great characters, if you can write stories from them, that would be really cool! well, I've also made some characters, but the truth is that I can think of little to write about them, I think surely you have that ability too, I hope you get success in the development of these ideas my friend! and thank you very much for your kind words! have a great week!

mattanimation said...

I think we all can agree that story is the most important thing in a short, or feature, it's what really gives the character it's core. I'm sure you'll write some great stuff, after seeing what your mind has spat out your hand so far!

Chrissie A said...

Mel, I'm both inspired and impressed by your plan to try something new! Good for you! I'll definitely be watching/reading!

Wayne B. Medina said...

haha meeeelll you son of a gun! you're such an inspiration! you are probably the first person who will have people love monday..er eh muhndee ;) stephan is dope too! I believe you will do a great job and i can't wait to see the explorations on these bad boys. happy new year my friend

Abz said...

very cool loose drawings! ;)

JOE said...

Hey, I remember some character designs you did last year because of the dread of Monday. Look at your August posts, It would be cool to see Muhndee with those horns. Just thoughts... Glad to see that you are taking on storytelling. Our good friend John Lassetter said that “... ‘We should hire people who are good at their talents. We can teach them programming or any kind of computer skills over a matter of months, but I can’t teach them how to be a good entertainer.’” Keep it up!!!

Josh Taback said...

Hey Mel, a great writing podcast is www.onthepage.tv. As usual love the drawings. And thanks for the link add!

Justin Rodrigues said...

Wow. good luck man! just make sure you keep posting awesome drawings!

Anonymous said...

sounds exciting Mel,

I'll keep tuning in:)